Countdown to Hawaii

Wednesday, June 11

Unbelievable

My mom told me about this story today in Las Vegas - I'm not sure how you miss one of your kids at dinner or bed but apparently it happens....so sad - she wanted to make sure I always count my kids - not sure if it is motherly love - or she thinks I'm a bad parent... (just kidding mom)

7 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH! that could totally be me! we left Joy in the car asleep the other week. at night. thank goodness it was still cold . she came knocking on the front door at 1 :30 am. so sad. and it could happen easily enough to me. and totally in a large family. SCARY. we've been counting off now. i always keep count when we are out, but i don't think to count when we get home. now we do. scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several years ago the same thing happended to a family here in Gilbert. Their next door neighbor was in my class. They left their 1 year old strapped in the carseat after church (everyone thought someone else had taken him in). They found him about two hours later, but he was already dead! Horrible.

    I'm always afraid that I'll do that with a baby. I try to leave my purse in the backseat when I put the baby in. Sad that I would never forget my purse, but I might forget the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sad! 17 hours is a l-o-n-g time to not realize the youngest child wasn't in the house. I always feel soooo sad when I hear about these instances. I love crazymama's idea of counting kiddos. I think it is a great idea to count when everyone returns home too. Thanks for sharing this story, and the reminder that it is hot outaside, and to count kiddos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness..this is just oh so sad..i cant imagine the GUILT this mother is having...wow-after reading the other posts..i didnt realize how often this can happen! YIKES!
    thankfully for me i have to spend 10 extra minutes getting jon out..so i can realize & make sure everyone is out..
    just oh so sad...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is sooooo sad. There was one day we had all come in from the car, some kids stayed out to play, some came in, and my 3 year old was temporarily (I'm talking 3 minutes) locked inside the car. We had the child safety locks on so kids couldn't open from the inside, because this same child opened the door on the freeway. Anyway, it could've been a scary thing, but honestly, it took about 3 or 4 minutes before I thought, where's Fletcher? 17 hours blows me away> Don't you tuck your kids in at night??? I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a horrible story. It is hard to believe that the child went unnoticed for that long. So sad!!

    I hope you are having a great summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the wintertime, I left my baby asleep in the car for ten minutes while I took my girls out to eat at Red Robin. I screamed inside the restaurant when I realized what I had done. It made me realize that we can't judge these parents too harshly especially when you have 8 kids. It makes my five seem easy, but I still struggle. Thanks for your comments, Holly. Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Please be sure to leave a comment!! I love to read them Let me know that you stopped by!