Countdown to Hawaii

Sunday, July 19

Royal Ascot 09

Here are further attempts at catching up from my computer glitches in May & June. Before we came back to the US we had a rare opportunity to go to the Royal Ascot Races through Mike's work. It was AMAZING!!!! They always have races year round at Ascot, but it is Royal Ascot because the Queen comes every day for the week (or at least part of the royal family).

We had to dress up and wear hats - Mike had to rent a "day suit" basically a tux with tails, waistcoat and all. I felt like My Fair Lady or Holly-go-lightly. It was an amazing day and it was the nicest dress I've gotten myself in ages!!

We got to sit in a Royal Box - we arrived at 11AM, for Champagne and treats (Mike & I had sparkling water). Then we sat for lunch at our specific seats and were served a 6-7 course lunch - the main dish was beef wellington -

We also got to have a special view of the Royal Parade - the Queen arrives at 2pm each day of the race week to start off the races - there are 6 races - the first one started at 2:30. Her carriage stopped right in front of me and we were right next to her - then after the carriages rolled away they let us on the green and we were 6 feet from her - they didn't let us take photos on the green with her on it.


The Queen, Prince Andrew and either Princess Beatrice (who I think it is) or Princess Eugenie

This was the horse I bet 10 GBP on in the 3rd race and won!!! It was an American Horse, English Jockey, and owned by a Shiek

We also got another special tour - they took us to the "Inner ring" on the inside of the track by the finish line - where only photographers normally stand - to watch one of the races - it was sooooo incredibly quiet and then all of a sudden the horses run by right and the ground shakes. The horses are beautiful and just muscle and skin!

It truly was a wonderful day - we had gotten a sitter for the kids and they were excellent - we were there all day and it went soooo fast! They kept bringing food into our box as well it was unbelievable.

At the end of the race day they sing songs at the band stand - most people stay for it - it is a wonderful memory that I will hold dear to our UK stay for sure!!

7 comments:

  1. way cool holly! that is so awesome! what an opportunity! that is like a dream! love the clothes! your outfit looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool - and totally exciting. You must have felt like you were in a dream. Love the hats, all the pomp, pix of the royal fam and of course the FOOD!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow how fun! Holly you look so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh that looks so fun! What a wonderful time! You, and your hubby are such a good looking couple!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun is that. You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun day! That would be so cool to dress up like that and see the queen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an absolutely fabulous day. I love dress and am really digging those hats. I'm glad I got to see you for a brief moment while you were here. Hope you're having a safe trip back.

    ReplyDelete

Please be sure to leave a comment!! I love to read them Let me know that you stopped by!