The flight home was good for the most part - we had 2 flights with a bit of a layover. Everyone we met was so nice and helpful to us, except one - we had to sit by a nasty lady from Chicago to London - she started screaming when she saw Tristan "I can't sit by a baby, I have to work as soon as I get there!!" But the flight was full so she had to sit by us - who works at 6AM on a Sunday morning anyway - a hooker?! So we refused to look at her, every time I tried to explain Tristan was a good baby she's close her eyes, put her hands up at me and say, "I don't want to talk about it, I just need my sleep!" Lots of people heard, I was mortified - people were so nice to us. And of course Tristy-Lu was EXCELLENT. So at the end of the flight I said very calmly, "I think you owe us an apology" and she said, "I didn't do anything wrong, I just said I wanted to change my seat because I have to work! You don't know my story!" I told her, "No I don't but you don't know mine either. You were extremely mean and hurtful and selfish so I wanted you to know for the next time you should pay full-price to sit up front next time". All the while she wouldn't stop to listen to me - she just kept saying, "I said I didn't want to talk about it!" So I just said, "by the way she was really good" what I wish I added was - 'but you wouldn't have noticed since you slept the whole time'. Some people. The people all around us heard - the people behind me after that asked if they could help me with the baby. They thought she was ridiculous. But I was proud that I didn't yell at her, or call her names or lose control, but I'm sure she didn't even care that she made me feel so badly and I'm so glad Tristan didn't have a clue and she was sweet as pie as usual. I felt like I stood up for us though and let her know she was truly hurtful.
One good thing that did come out of Chicago however was - during our layover - I found a quiet little area - all of sudden a bunch of teenagers- like 40 of them- came to sit near me, my initial reaction was oh no! I guess kind of like that mean old lady, but at least I didn't cry and raise a fit! But then I noticed they all had USA Swim bags....after about 15 minutes I looked up again and low and behold right in front of me sat Michael Phelps! How cool is that! I took a double take though because he was all scruffy - and he looked short - perhaps incognito. But I got the courage to ask if he'd take a photo with Tristan and he was very kind an gracious....
Michael doesn't look super comfortable holding a baby! But very cool that he would do that. I can't believe the lady next to you on the plane. I actually have gotten many dirty looks over the years when I've had babies on airplanes (especially long flights) and my babies are usually good too. I can't believe that she wouldn't apologize when the whole thing was over.
ReplyDeleteHolly - you are such a good person who always takes the "high road". Some people think they are soooo important that nothing else matters AND the are never ever wrong. She must be a very small minded and spiteful person. I almost feel sorry for her, but then I remember that we all have free agency and she chose to be the way she is.
ReplyDeleteLOVE the pic of Michael Phelps & Tristy Lu - how exciting to meet a celebrity. He's a local boy from Baltimore
That is SUPER cool!--the picture with m.p. not the mean lady on the plane. Seriously! Some people!
ReplyDelete