Countdown to Hawaii

Thursday, March 6

Roller Coaster


I think I've mentioned this before - but I have one kid that would drive me to drink. In the mornings he's a pill - today it was about the waffles - I only have a toaster with 2 slots, I know very sad for a family with 4 kids - I don't wake up at dawn to make them fresh homemade waffles anymore (bad mom) so he comes down first, which is great, makes his waffles, but then proceeds to monopolize the toaster from everyone else - instead of make 2, put 2 in, let someone else eat them, put 2 more in......he usually wakes up whining, usually when he comes into the car or comes home after school he's already whining about not eating enough at lunch, "what's for dinner?" eeeeewwwww, and whines at night.

Last night I had a sitter for an hour, 1 HOUR, Tyler and I had to go to church for New Beginnings - he calls me - "I don't know if I have to used lined paper for my homework".....hellooooooo??? How in the world would I know? I wasn't in his class today! Last week during my 41 mile bike ride he called me, "When do I have practice?" - did you look at the color coded spreadsheet I left out for the babysitter??!!!

This is also the kid however who is the most loving, best manners, rule follower and very nice to people - so why does he constantly grate on my nerves?? I know it could be the middle child syndrome, he needs more attention, but helloooooo - there are 4 kids, the other "middle" isn't like that so I just need him to deal with it. I love him, but he drives me batty - I guess there is always ONE.

My girl friend suggested taking away a toy or video time when he whines, maybe I'll try that one...heaven help the girl he marries, or the companion he has as a missionary - but hopefully he'll out grow it by his next birthday (yeah right)....a mom can always wish...any other advice?

6 comments:

  1. How about going to Chuck E. Cheese (or somewhere) and buying a bunch of tokens. Every day he gets 3 "whines", if wants to whine or ask you a question he could figure out himself, he has to give you one. If he thinks it out for himself, he keeps them and gets to go use them Friday night or Sat morning, or at the end of the month (although that is probably not immediate enough reward). Of course, you'll have to vary it to something that will motivate him, but it's worth a try!

    Don't forget to give extra EXTRA attention, when he is behaving appropriately. (You can set a timer for yourself - every 10 or 15 minutes - set your phone to vibrate in your pocket!) You can reward for that too - if the timer goes off and he's behaving appropriately reward, if not take a token.

    Email me if you want some other ideas - after 10 years of teaching special ed. I must have tried every behavior modification system there is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo like supercoolmoms advice!!

    i dont have any whiners..only becca will cry if i give her the "wrong spoon" for her cereal etc..at that point i say "go to the stairs and come back when you're happy" works like a charm "i all better & happy mom!"--sometimes she just needs 2 minutes to slow down and work it out--if its really bad i will just quietly pick her up and take her to her BED! and i say the same thing--again its just a few minutes and she's totally fine..
    so i guess mine is a different battle?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had some advice. I have one of those in my house as well. And for the record I am not so good about making hot breakfast any more either. I am a total slacker (or burned out)

    Deep breaths. That is what I try and tell myself. We use timeouts a lot for that. It sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This totally cracked me up today, becuase I've got a major whiner and he's my first!!! I was just reading a little story about Gertie the Grumbler and think I will be reading it to him tomorrow! I can so relate, babe! Good luck and I hope you will be sharing any ideas, if you stumble upon any!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh man... that is tough.. I love supercoolmom's advice.. I am going to try that one out..
    toaster waffles.. my kids love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one of these also. It is so hard not to freak out on them and just be done. I do like the ideas of supercoolmom. I will have to modify since we don't go to chuck's but there are other things we can do. GOod luck!

    ReplyDelete

Please be sure to leave a comment!! I love to read them Let me know that you stopped by!