Countdown to Hawaii

Friday, September 26

A&E

No unfortunately not "Arts & Entertainment"

We have now been here almost 3 weeks. A month ago from today we moved out of our home in Ptown. I hear that it has been cleaned and my good neighbors keep watch over it - and I'm so glad they've also been pillaging my garden!!!! We had a huge garden this year and left it a complete mess - tomatoes, snap peas, onions, bell peppers, zucchini, yellow squash - a huge pumpkin.... ahhh I miss my garden.

So back to the A&E - it means ACCIDENTS & EMERGENCY - yes - we've already visited the ER. Luckily we have a really great neighbor - they are from New Jersey but have been here going on 4 years - everyone knows them - it's kinda like living back in Ptown next to Ms. Janeen :) Cathy offered to drive me & Ian - yes, Ian - who else do I dash to the ER for in the last 3 years??? Apparently Waitrose's (grocery store) Pesto has more than just pine nuts - Ian has eaten Pesto before back home - guess I'll have to resort to making it from scratch again - once I get a blender/food processor - we had a lovely dinner - Tyler made Caesar salad, we had pasta, butternut squash soup (oh, that's in my garden back home too) garlic bread - it was lovely - the kids help prepare, set the table - we had water goblets (mostly because the other 3 glasses we have were dirty). We served it on the "buffet" - the kids loved that -


(not the actual culprit, but you get the idea)

Mike got home, then Ian said - I don't feel well - and we did our regular - does your tummy hurt, does your throat hurt? Do you have to throw up... so immediately went in the Benedryl, about 15 mins later he was shaking and it came back up.

So I called Cathy - and then decided I should take him in. Now for those of you that don't know - London is a place although they are democratic - they do have a form of socialized medicine - National Health Care. So basically visions of the TV show ER should immediately materialize in your brain. We got there - I told him it was a peanut allergy - they told us to wait in the lounge... hummmmmm that should have been my first hunch. He didn't look too bad - not like when I've seen him when he had full on peanut or peanut butter. But then he started to get a welt under his eye - so I got the nurse - they gave him just more antihistamine. Hummmmm hint #2

2 hours later - he was passed out on the chairs - there were about 30 people in this tiny room with only 20 chairs - it was bad. They had a posted sign that said, "We strive to see all patients within 4 hours of arrival"

Both eyes were really puffy...... I got the nurse again - Hmmmm hint #3 I had to ask for steroids while in the waiting room - prednizone - FINALLY at 10:45 they gave him some, saw him 15 mins later, sent us home..... Hummmmmmmm 3 hours....

So kept him home today - took him to our Private General Practioner that I just registered with last week and took him (begrudginly) to McDonalds - at least the Chips (fries) taste the same. That was about it - and he got a toy - he didn't seem to mind the cheeseburger though. I've yet to find good food.

This overshadows my own Dr. appointment story - on the short side - I got to meet my new OB the other day - I hope I get more experience driving to the town I will deliver (which is where we went for Ian) it took me almost an hour to get there for my appointment - I was 30 mins late - they never tell you there isn't parking, I parked down a hill at a public lot, started raining, didn't have a jacket or an umbrella or socks.....but the good news is - the baby is still a girl :)

And the other great news - our stuff survived (I think) the hurricanes coming around the Panama Canal and around - it arrived this AM and almost unheard of - cleared customs already today - we'll have to see if it is DRY. Tuesday Stage 4 or 5 of our trip will come when we get to have our stuff delivered and unpacked!!! Yikes!

Thank goodness for blogging - I'm glad I don't have to email the A&E story to the grandparents - I can just type it once!

7 comments:

  1. Are you not glad you are recording those memories! Journal and letter writing all in one! Ahem to Blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo, that's scary. I'm glad he's feeling better now. Poor little guy. These stories are getting me a little less enthused about the possibility of ever having an overseas assignment....

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend in England has had trouble with the food too. Not our style, I guess. She also had her baby - It came super fast and Dad had to do emergency delivery in the car! Better luck on that one to you :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your little guy! All I can say is God Bless America! Blogging keeps you still here!

    Doesn't Madonna live in London? Maybe she can recommend some good food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nightmare! SO sorry you have to go through all of this. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I had a lady and her family fly out of the ER after having to wait an entire 1 1/2 hour. And she didn't even need anything real! Sounds like an adventure in why we don't want socialized medicine. Of course I don't know that it changes ER's any.
    BTW I was only in England for 2 weeks, but never found anything good to eat except their chips and their Flake bars (Cadbury is a winner!) They are not known for good things to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You need to get Linda to send you a care package every month with everything you need. Like they do the Missionaries!! Hang in there!! I'm sure things are to get better!!!
    I like Jenny"s idea about contacting Madonna!!! That was funny!!

    ReplyDelete

Please be sure to leave a comment!! I love to read them Let me know that you stopped by!