Countdown to Hawaii

Thursday, September 18

INTERNET!!!!

What in the world did we do BEFORE the net????!!!! I literally just got on - so I have a ton of things to do - for one - pay bills!!!!!

It's been an emotional week and 1/2 but we're settling in - I will post much more later - but basically we miss our friends, we miss our house - although this one is pretty nice - I like my new car - (rental) Volvo - I think we've found a used one I can get - so funny - one place wouldn't write me any insurance for the Volvo SUV (XC90) because "it's such a big car" and I haven't had a London DL for at least a year - hellllooooo I should send them a picture of my Yukon XL at home! I am getting quite used to driving on the wrong side, I MEAN Left side of the road - just keep thinking left, left, left - and thank heavens for GPS.

Oh well - the money situation here has been really hard - we only brought so much - and you can't open accounts or do anything until you have proof of residency here - then once you do, you have to wait for the card, then you have to sign for a pin, then mail it in, then wait for another password, then register it online - they say it "only" takes about a month ....... - so I've been floating money like a professional launderer - you can ask me on tips on how to float foreign money!!!!! but things are coming together SLOWLY - and backward - or old fashion - only "your husband" can call for this or that - "oh, you are a housewife, you have no income, you can't have this or that" - and so on and so on - oh well, more work for poor Mike!

I will post pictures later - but just wanted you to know at least that WE'RE ALIVE!!! although grocery costs are going to kill me and to whoever told me there were Goldfish crackers here - NOT TRUE!!!! xoxo

12 comments:

  1. hello! I have been wondering about you.. glad you are alive and have the contact to the outside world.. that is crazy about the money situation.. I wouldn't have ever thought that would be a hassle.. and cause you are a housewife.. you can't do somethings.. wierd..

    your house does look really nice.. and a volvo sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Nothing like having to adjust to a new move, let alone a new move to a different country! At least they speak english right?! ;) Glad to hear from ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a hassle about the money! Glad the house is nice and you're getting somewhat settled. Nice to hear that you're surviving the move!

    {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. You poor thing! I really don't think I could adjust to living in a whole other country and being pregnant on top of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you are back online.. I have been thinking about you..
    So sorry about the money.......... that can be so stressful

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Holly! Glad to hear from you. It sounds that eventually everything will come together. WE don't really realize until we are away that the world does things differently. I have been having trouble with my computer and my laptop is shot. So Grandpa Bob is out looking for another computer before this one dies on me. It was great hearing from Mike and Tyler. Their voices seem like they are just down the street. Well, we have our tickets and we'll be seeing you on Dec. 2nd. Love to all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know moving across another state is a pain, so I can ONLY imagine how expensive and hard it must be overseas. Hang in there! I hope things get ironed out soon! Glad you guys are doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad to see you back, and posting! I hope that things all get setteled into place soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh... I could not even imagine! I have felt effects of change and the unknown moving around the United States-- to move out of the country, ummm just reading your experience makes my stomach knot up. I feel anxious.

    Oh and I here you about the bills and not having the internet. Exactly how did we manage before bill pay?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is good to read from you again. What a pain to deal with money and the whole house wife thing? Wow, what a pain. Hopefully things will get better and improve for you. No gold fish?! So sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't worry...it does get easier. We love England and are very jealous that you are actually getting a chance to live there. When it gets really tough, keep one thing in mind: AT LEAST EVERYTHING IS IN ENGLISH!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, I often wonder how I ever got anything done without the internet. It makes life for me so much easier. I'm sure it does for you being across the pond.

    ReplyDelete

Please be sure to leave a comment!! I love to read them Let me know that you stopped by!