Countdown to Hawaii

Friday, October 3

Me & the Queen

First I have to wish my little brother - who isn't so little - a big happy birthday!!!! My brother is very sweet - he and his wife Sandra already sent us goodies at the new house too! I'm sure Sandra did it!!! Thanks Sandra!

My brother Gavin is gosh - 33 now!!!!??? Old man... and he's a giant. He is the tallest Chinese man next to Yao Ming that I know. He is at least 6'4" if not taller. I wish I had some of those cute embarrassing pictures to post of him, but I really don't know if I packed them! I'm just waiting for a decent hour to call and wish him a Happy Happy Birthday!


Not the greatest pictures - but the most recent! Brian, Me & Gavin
At my cousin's going away bbq she had for us - most of the boy cousins or cousin-in-laws - see about my bro being the Chinese Giant! Mike is 6'
************************************************************************************************************
Finally I am updating - It's been a busy week - sorry this might be long so feel free to scan or read later :) but you do have to check out my Tuesday story - it's the best.....





Monday - I went on a tour to Buckingham Palace - it was the last day of the tour for the season. I went with the AWS - American Women of Surrey - very fun. Met some really nice ladies. We took the train into Victoria Station and walked to the Palace - it was an eventful ride as well. We had to take the local train and then transfer before getting to Victoria - well we had to walk briskly to catch our 2nd train - while we were trotting down the stairs we noticed the train sitting there - we had 2 mins - so someone said, run - I ran, all 7 1/2 weeks preggo of me - and I got in - well my friends didn't! The doors to these trains are NOT like BART where if you stick a limb inside they'll pop open for you - they close the trains 30 seconds before they depart - and that is it - so I was alone on the train - the other 5 girls were on the outside!!!

Luckily I had one of their mobile numbers and even more lucky we really only had one stop to go and get off. I just had to make sure I found them when they arrived. So funny. We found a great cheap place for lunch - called Noodle Noodle right by the train station so I'll have to remember where it was.

The tour was really nice - but weird - I've done lots of tours of castles or museums and such - but it was just weird to know HRH The Queen was in that day but in another part of the castle - and we were tromping around her pad like it was no big deal. This tour also had a tour of the room where they have their Royal Dinners - I forget the proper name - but like a State dinner and they have them 2x a year - they use rulers to measure exactly where each plate, spoon, glass is placed. I kept thinking umm, Barack Obama may be eating here this year or the chick from Alaska if John McCain keels over. Weird as well.

I thought humm, I wonder if Prince Charles likes the Napoleon Table there or if Prince William sits in this chair or that one more often? Very fun but lots of walking for me that day - I went to bed by 9.

In the back garden

Tuesday - our Sea Shipment arrived!!! So unheard of - there is a girl in my ward who came from San Diego - about 2-3 weeks before I did - her stuff left her house on JULY 27, my stuff left August 27 - and she STILL HAS NOT GOTTEN HER STUFF - they told her maybe the end of October!! Crazy! Another lady who arrived 2-3 weeks before me from Wisconsin also won't get her stuff for another 2-3 weeks. We were very blessed - HF must have known I couldn't get my stuff too late or I wouldn't get a chance to put it all away before the baby comes! So that day was again lots of work. I'm happy to report I've got most of it (with the exception of my crafts) put away nicely. Now they need to come get the rental stuff.

I have a great story - I couldn't sleep as I was worried about my mattress - I brought it, but not the bedframe - as the owners left 3 and told me the measurements, but then I started to regret with worry.

The really nice unpackers were hilarious - I had them play musical bedframes with the rooms so I could get the right one for my room. They put it up - it looked dwarfed so I worried - the plopped a mattress on it so to check the size - fits - whew, dodged the bullet. I was unpacking boxes (didn't want the men to unpack my 'delicates') then they said, "uh, Holly (with the great accent) I don't think you want it like this........ I so wish I had a picture - it was so funny - I almost peed my pants which isn't hard for a pregnant lady!

Imagine this: Bed frame off the floor about 14 inches, american box spring - about 14-15 inches - American pillow top mattress (queen size at least) 16"..... Iaughed so hard, I would have needed a ladder! I laughed for a good 10 mins. So needless to say we are box springless - easier that way - and I made them lug it away - I would never be able to get rid of it and it would sit there for 2+ years. When we come back I hope to upgrade to a king size bed! Oh it was so funny.

Wednesday: Chocolate Pumpkin Fish Pudding - or something like that - not what we ate but what she calls her club - the AWS has a lady who offers cooking demonstrations - so I was on the waiting list - it was wonderful - she makes the food, gives you the recipes, and the tips I love, and then serves you lunch - wonderful! I figured unpacking would still be there. Met up again with a few ladies from Monday.

Thursday: Poor little Lucas couldn't get up - we had a mental health day - so he hung out with mom. Worked out well though as the ladies at church set up a play group so we went and hung out for a while. There were 4 of us - it was so fun - we're all from the US all of us have grown up or lived at one time in CA - 3 of us have 4 kids and the other girl was still young so she had 2. I'm the newbie out of them all! They've lived or traveled to Paris, Spain, Austrailia (well I guess I've traveled to all those places too) but Argentina, Austria! I just love it - they all love to travel just as much as me so it's fun to talk to these girls.

Went and found a store called Asda - it's a Walmart - or owned by them - but really- they did have the "lower price" stickers sans the smiley face, George Products, Halloween costumes but not like home, but it was not Walmart - more of a glorified grocery store. So my initial excitement faded quickly. But luckily I did have Lucas with me- they have parking for moms & little ones!!!!! Nice and close up.

For dinner I made the really yummy chicken that I learned to make at Wednesdays class - it's basically a rub with cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and oregano - it was soooooo good. I made them with thighs and legs and the kids ate like 4 pieces each! A hit! I stank like cumin and paprika so I had to shower after but it was so tasty!

Today - ran out for a few errands but had to be back by 1 - the only casualty of our sea shipment was one piece of our bunk bed was missing - they sent out a carpenter to make me a new piece and he just left to buy the wood. I've got almost everything put away inside the house - there are a few things I wish I had also packed to bring- and I'm still looking for things. I have to tackle the garage next.

Next week we have parent teacher conferences so no school Thur-Mon - we're trying to think of a fun place to go. The kids also have Fall Break on the 27th for a week so we're trying to book a place in Paris with Louise - the hotels and flat rentals just laugh at us - because we're trying to travel with 9 people!

12 comments:

  1. What a crazy week! That bed story is too funny. My friend Kate's little girl is 2 and she had the same issue when they moved in their new house. I went over once and she was sleeping and I just asked Kate "How the heck did she get up there and what happens if she falls off!?" lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yowsa! Crazy week! Glad you got your shipment. You are very lucky indeed!

    Hayden was just looking at the pictures and asked me where you were. So cute.

    Oh I also ran into the quads mom at Costco(where else) and he asked me if I missed my shopping buddy. It was funny. I think we see her there everytime we go. She wants your email or blog so she can keep in touch. I told her I would tell you so you could decide which one. I will email you later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a week you had. How fun that you were able to go to buckinhgam palace.. I have always wanted to go there. ( oh i am hoping that John McCain will be eating there next year.)

    That i so cool that you a 7/1/2 week preggo women beat all the other ladies running to the train......

    Thanks for sharing all the picture with us.........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are having a great adventure. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. We are really glad you got all your stuff. Give the kids and Mike a hug and kiss from us --especially we send a big hug to you and the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you're having a great time. Lots of adventure in your life. How fun!
    Thanks for all of the updates through your busy schedule. Look forward to hearing more.
    Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so great you got your shipment so quickly! What a blessing.

    Your brother is pretty darn tall! Good luck with coming up with something to do with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU ARE SO AMAZING. You have moved half way around the world with 4 children - one in the oven, unpacked a sea shipment, negotiated the ER - twice, took a tour of the Palace, rode the Tube, and learned a new receipe. You GO MOM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I concur whole heartedly with the above comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am keeping up with all of your adventures on the blog... looks like a blast! Miss u too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Holly! That is one amazing week. I'd love your new recipe. It sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you got your shipment so fast. And good for you for joing that group and doing so many things already.

    We learned about the train doors in London the hard way when we were there 4 years ago. We were trying to catch a train as its doors were shutting. We shoved Caleb's stroller (7 months old at the time) in, thinking the door would pop open. Nope-it closed with one wheel of the stroller inside and the rest of it on the platform with us. We were frantically trying to get it out before the train started moving with the strollerd attached. Fortunately, with us on the outside and people on the inside pulling, the door opened enough to get the wheel out. Just then the train started moving. We were so lucky. Who knows that would have happened to Caleb if we hadn't freed him. I cringe every time I think about that experience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So fun! It sounds like things are going really well! What a blessing to already have your stuff there and put away!

    ReplyDelete

Please be sure to leave a comment!! I love to read them Let me know that you stopped by!