Countdown to Hawaii

Thursday, February 19

Everyday Livin'

I've had several friends ask me what it's like living out here in Jolly Ol' England.... I thought I would post a few of my own observations even just for my own sake before they become rote.

They say nothing is bad, just 'different'......

1. Driving has been an experience - the most obvious change of course - being on the wrong, uh I mean 'other' side of the road. I notice I tend to favor the left so while on the highway I tend to hit the little bumpy road things. Round-a-bouts are our friends - have you ever thought about how long you sit at stop lights just waiting? Well Round-a-bouts are helpful - during rush hour it's a little aggravating because it feels like you are sitting there forever - but generally you flow pretty well - the rule is - the person on the right has the right of way.

You must leave 30-60 mins early to go ANYWHERE - because there are no straight routes - all circles. You must always have coinage with you - there are very few free places to park.

Generally drivers are also more considerate here - since the roads are so narrow people are very kind about making room, waiting, flashing to let people go ahead of them, merge in...generally of course...

2. Health Care - well very different - the largest thing for me to swallow was they don't use gloves to draw blood or put in IV's. A few people do it - but 8 out of 10 times they didn't. The private drs are very forgiving when you are late (because you are driving in circles). There is free National Health Care - today I got free ointment for Tristan - no co-pay!

3. English isn't english - to name a few:
Boot - Car Trunk
Bonnet - Car Hood
Bin - Trash Can
Rubbish - Trash
Sort it out
Ring you up
Post

4. Everything closes early and isn't open on Sundays - No late night target runs - most of the stores close about 6 or 7pm each night and most are closed on Sunday -which is refreshing - so there really is lots of shopping to be done on Saturdays.

The stores all remind me of going to Vegas or SLC - they all seem to have grocery stores within them - like the super Walmarts & Targets - unfortunately I can't find everything at them like we do in Vegas. It's a wild goose chase for many items. There are 4-5 different kinds of Sugars and Flours so you have to be specific on which type you are cooking with - I've yet to find a large bottle of vanilla!

Oh - and you must bring your own recyclable shopping bags - some stores charge you - and you have to BAG your own stuff EVERYWHERE - kinda sucks.

5. But we're at the gateway to Europe for certain! All of friends go to great places for vacations - Egypt, Austria, Paris, Spain, Italy, Croatia, Greece - back to the states NY, Florida - it's very fun.

Well that's it for this installment - fun little tidbits to be remembered....

6 comments:

  1. what a fun post. Wow driving in England doesn't sound fun at all. What was the driving test like there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I agree with the "nothing is bad, just different" outlook. It's exciting to be immersed into a new culture. You can read about it all you want, but until you LIVE it... you just can't appreciate it. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! It's so fun to hear about those little differences and I'm sure you'll really notice them now, and forget them in a few more months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey that was really fun to read. Very interesting. I am so jealous of all the traveling you can get in over there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FYI. Health care workers in the US wear them to protect themselves -not vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops! In the above comment, I was referring to health care workers wearing gloves.

    ReplyDelete

Please be sure to leave a comment!! I love to read them Let me know that you stopped by!