So last night was a busy night for us - Bell practice that went an hour longer, Bday party for Ian, Ward Party & a family party all at the same time - originally we weren't going to go to the Ward Party - obviously too many things to do - but the Activities Chairlady asked if we were going and if we'd be in the Nativity - so I thought about - okay we'd come - it would be at the end we'd figure it out....
This is my lesson - I shouldn't say yes to everything - I should ask more questions - I should stick to my orginial plans instead of cramming in new ones.
So we do the bday party drop off - then we get back to the ward party late (we're reserving our fun family party for the end as it will go longer anyway) they are doing their thing - when the end comes they call our name - so we go back there - and she says, "so do you want me to do the lights or curtains for you?" WHAT????????????????????????????????????????
I look at her incredulously! I said - as calmly as I could, "I think we had a misunderstanding here, I thought you wanted us to help be IN the Nativity, NOT PLAN the Nativity??!!?????" She didn't give me enough details before - duh.......I knew there were costumes in the hall stake closet, we figured how to open it but we had a bunch of little kids throw stuff on, Mike grabbed a bible and we tried to do it, just with kids, robes, no baby, no props - it was the worst thing EVER! And if you know me - you know I'm a super planner, down to the last detail - it had to be the worst experience - we decided we know why people go inactive or don't come to ward events - and at the safety of our friends fabulous family party after - we said if we were drinkers, we would have had a couple!!!!! I'm so glad we had something to do after - it was mortifying. Good thing the Church is true!!!
So I'm up early - had dreams of - 'we should have just sang Away In A Manger and have the kids come out' oh well - but I'm going to Welfare meeting, perhaps also to defend myself to the powers that be... ha ha - I think we've been in this ward long enough that people know we aren't flakes! Have a super Sunday!
UPDATE: Okay - I went to Welfare meeting - all the (men) people were saying, we didn't notice - it was so great your kids went up there - they did a great job - just reading the bible like you said was perfect! Whew, I don't have a black mark by our name!!! :) We have afternoon church though so we'll see what is REALLY said.... ha ha
WHat a nightmnare! I am so sorry, but find comfort in knowing, things like these usually aren't as bad as we think. I will agree, though, that sometimes we say YES to too many things!
ReplyDeleteOh, my Holly what an utter nightmare!! I am so glad it's behind you. At least now you can laugh about it right? I learned this year to say no if I can't do it and I finally am not feeling guilty anymore.
ReplyDeleteDoug jokes you have to not say no, but say thanks for the opportunity, but I think I will have to pass (it doesn't sound as rude :)
What a joke! How can people not be more clear about what they need done. I would have been so mad. Glad it is over with and you could go to a great party afterwards. It is hard to say no and I found that I planned too much also for us.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you had such a great bday. I hope you are feeling better.
Sounds like you handled that well:)
ReplyDeleteI am getting better at saying "NO" or "let me get back to you on that one" it works well for me :)
oh auntie holly!you are a planner, but good thing you are great at rolling with the punches too. as i was reading i was thinking to myself, i bet nobody even noticed...and sure enough it was true!
ReplyDeleteOH my! I would be going crazy if that happen to me.
ReplyDeleteGood for you for doing it anyways. I think i would of gone HOME and hide :)
oh my goodness-kristen TOTALLY does say "let me get back to you on that!" how funny is that!!
ReplyDeleteim a PRO at saying NO--the nativity scenario-how crazy was that...nice that the "men" thought you guys did great--im sure the "women" have a different idea--probably not enough props or something!!
Oh my heck -- good thing you are good under pressure and very resourceful! I'm sure it way better than you think! Good job! Happy belated b-day too!
ReplyDeleteHow mortifying. I would have given up at that point and made Stephen sing a solo or something. I'm sure you guys did great. Happy Birthday...several days late.
ReplyDeletelols, that's a great story.
ReplyDeletewhat a crazy story.. I can't believe that! glad they didn't notice.. and glad there were costumes there already! good for you for making it work!
ReplyDelete