Here are just a couple pictures of my grandma - actually her hair is a little longer than this now. I haven't posted until now or checked many blogs in the last few days as I've been a little caught up with things. Last Tuesday my grandma wanted to go home - so the hospital released her and set up Hospice for her at her home. My brother and I went out to visit her to see how she was settling in. Oh how I am glad we went. It was incredibly hard as I had 2 carpool duties and things to work out and Mike was working but as it ended up it was the last time I got to see my grandma. She passed last Thursday night at home. We thought we'd have a bit more time but I'm sure she is not in pain and she is with Heavenly Father right now.
My grandma was an incredible woman. She was widowed very young, as my grandfather died when he was 35. She raised 4 small children alone and didn't remarry until I was 8 years old. She worked in banking and finance for her whole life and even up until last year did taxes for other people. Her birthday was last Sunday - she turned 86. My grandma was extremely intelligent and I can't tell you how much I have looked up to her. She was a no-nonsense kind of lady so it didn't surprise me that she wanted to go home when she did - when she made a decision she always stuck to it.
I can kinda go on and on but what I want to say most is that I loved her and I'm so fortunate that I had so much time with her - I'm the eldest grandchild - and my kids were her only great-grandchildren. And my kids played bingo, mah jong and checkers and all kinds of things with her - I'm so lucky they have such good memories of her......
My parents are here now for a week - there isn't going to be a big funeral - she is going to be cremated and there is going to be just a small dinner banquet with the few remaining friends (she outlived most) and family. It will be a nice celebration of her life. Take care and kiss your loved ones and hold them tight or just send the ones farther away a sweet card or note - it makes all the difference.
What a sweet post. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. She sounds like such a special grandmother. My thoughts are with your family at this time. :D
ReplyDeleteShe was a sweet woman! We are going to miss her at the Holiday get togethers. I will call ya later.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear about your loss. I'm impressed how she knew the end was near and she wanted to go home. I'm truly sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteshe sounds like a sweet woman.. so glad your kids got to know her.. sorry for your loss.. take care.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful post!!!!!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry about your Grandmother !
My thoughts are with your family.
Holly, I am so sorry for your loss. THis was such a sweet post about your grandma. She sounds like she was such a great woman.
ReplyDeletewhat a sweet tribute to your grandmother! she sounds like a special , spirited woman. i'm so lgad you got to go spend a little time with her before she passed. and how wonderful your kids got to know her and have those memories . my thoughts are with you and your family! hugs!
ReplyDeletesorry to hear about your grandma..this was a great tribute to her!
ReplyDeleteOh, what a sweet tribute to a wonderful woman. You have to admire the courage of a woman who raises her family alone. I'm so glad that you were able to see her before she died. I'm sure it meant alot to her too.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the wonderful reminder to show our appreciation, gratitude and love for our own family. Enjoy the time with your family and friends celebrating her life!
Your grandma sounded like a wonderful woman! How blessed you are to have had her in your life. I'm sure she was such a great example to you.
ReplyDeleteVery sweet post, thanks for sharing with us.