Countdown to Hawaii

Wednesday, January 30

Pinewood Derby 2008/ First SPT



Chandler's pinewood derby was on Friday night - he called his car "The Darkest Night" - he did really well last year - came in 2nd - this year he also had a pretty fast car but as you will see below......
he lost in the semi-finals (he got 5th or 6th overall) to his BFF Greg - coincidentally last year's semifinals - he won over Greg! If you're gonna go out - it's a good way to go. The Cub committee did a great job, they had a great area set up for siblings with the movie Cars running and some hotwheels out for them to play with - it was very fun. I didn't know they only did this for three years and then move on....guess we better enjoy it! That is one calling I hope I don't get - Scouts.




This is my first SPT as well - okay, so it's only a semi SPT since the "self-portrait" part is being left out - I'm not feeling very photogenic these days - I'm feeling kinda old lady like - my allergies are really bad - I had a reaction to my allergy shots last night - stayed 2 hours! Had to have epinephrine and all kinds of jittery making drugs - my great neighbor went to the pharmacy for me to make sure I had an epi pen in the house! I found two more gray hairs and I'm tired.....

But onto my story - today's challenge - if there were 25 hours in the day - I would get to all my household projects - you see pictured are MY tools - that's right I'm Handy Holly around the house. I was going to keep it a surprise for my Hubby who hasn't seen it yet - but I changed the light fixture that broke in the hallway closet. I have a new toilet paper holder to install and caulk to fix in the shower - all the old men at church love me - they come talk to me about electrical & plumbing all the time....it's so cute!

My other project - or hobby is Stampin' Up - which I need to get my tail a-hoppin' - I have to create a bunch of stuff for a selection process for a stamp camp we're doing on March 8th - anyone want to come???!!

Oh by the way - I was finally released from the RS Presidency - I've been in the presidency for 3,5 years - but doing Homemake for 5 - yes ladies, not a typo - 5 years (with 3 different RS Presidents!) - at Tithing settlement I happened to mention to the bishop that I found a HFPE flyer in my computer dated 2002 - see it pays to go to Tithing Settlement.

But my new calling Christina - hold onto your hat - I still am in denial - Ward Choir Director - but here's the clinker - NO Pianist - hello!!??? How do you have a choir without a pianist?? Oh well - I'll just have the YW, YM, & the Primary go up every month!! I guess I'm going to try to hit up Fisher's mom to help me with Easter!!

18 comments:

  1. We just did the pinewood derby...it was lots of fun. Love the car!!

    I can't believe you were in the Presidency for 5 years. Talk about burned out. :D I would die if they asked me to be ward choir director. Good luck with it all. It all works out somehow, someway, right? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Choir director would be my worst nightmare.. but thats only because I have NO musical talent or ability whatsoEVER! I have been in Primary for 4 years and recently got out.. it seemed like FOREVER. 5 years is a long time in the same calling, glad you finally got released!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you can fix things. Maybe that should be something I dabble in. My husband is mr. fixit, so I haven't ever had to worry. Of course he is military and gone a lot. One of these times I am going to have to fixit without him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ward choir what???? for reals?!?! i love that you have no pianist--thats hilarious!! doesnt the guy who plays the organ now how to play the piano?? thats what we do..

    handy holly--sweet..and chit chatting with the older gents in the ward...classic!

    fun on the derby--my friend amie said that they did an elders quorum derby..wouldnt that be hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh and sorry about the old lady stuff..that cant be good...

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOw do you run a choir with no pianist? That will be tough.

    That is a long time to be in the pres. Nice change though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pinewood derby is so fun! LOve the car :)



    Good luck with your calling. MY Ryan is theWard Choir Director in our ward. He loves it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ours in April (it will be our first) Cool car!!

    I can't believe you were in that calling for that long. That is WORSE than my 3 year Activity Chair calling. Jeesh. Not sure I could do choir either though (can't carry a tune)

    Love the handy holly term. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome pinewood derby! sounds like fun.. I kinda look forward to that stuff with my luke!

    congrats on your release.. 5 years? that is crazy! way to mention that to the bishop!
    choir director? wow! that would be tough for me, but no pianist? WHAT??

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always enjoy going to the pinewood derby. The boys get so excited! Congrats. on the new calling! :) I am sure you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pictures from the Pinewood Derby. That is something I cam look forward to. I am so impressed with you being a "handy woman." I'm sure you could give me (and Lloyd) a few tips. I know you'll do great with your new calling, but I'm sure it's humbling. That's the great thing about the church; we always get to try something different. You'll be wonderful! I would love to go to one of your stamp camps sometime. The school year is pretty hectic, but I have more time in the summer. Let me know if you have any this summer. I would love to see you. We really want to come visit your backyard/trains some time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would cry if I had a scout calling too. Sounds like your pinewood derby was a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gotta love the pinewood derby! Choir director! You will be fabulous. I love the idea of sharing a journal with your daughter. What a great way to keep the lines of communication open.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pinewood Derbys are so fun! The Darkest Night car turned out sooooo good! Maybe it wasn't the fastest, but it looks so rad!

    I have a million things around the house as well that I really need to tackle, but where do we find the time, right?

    Congrats on the new calling (i think)! Yikes! Good luck Babe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so funny - you are totally the Girl Scout Queen - so Cub Scouts wouldn't be a stretch for you at all! Was your pinewood derby track made out of metal? Our is wood.

    I am also a big do-it-yourself gal with home improvement stuff. On Saturday I put together two 2-tiered metal pull-out baskets for both of my bottom cabinets (on either side of the oven). My Tyler used the sledge hammer to get rid of the existing shelves and me and my trusted cordless screwdriver did the rest - I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sad you're not in RS anymore, although I know you're not. I'm always needing people to get ideas from. It's a tough calling and I don't know how you lasted so long.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Holly,
    Good luck with your new calling!! That would definitely be challenging. The name of the jeans are Joe's Jeans and the type is "Sunshine" pocket. Sean will probably be calling Mike for some tips on the Pinewood Derby. This is unchartered territory for him. Hope all is well!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Holly,
    Good luck with your new calling!! That would definitely be challenging. The name of the jeans are Joe's Jeans and the type is "Sunshine" pocket. Sean will probably be calling Mike for some tips on the Pinewood Derby. This is unchartered territory for him. Hope all is well!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Please be sure to leave a comment!! I love to read them Let me know that you stopped by!